Published in July of 1991 by the Louisbourg Heritage Society. No.2 in the Heritage Notes series.
“In 1901 the mood in the newly incorporated Town of Louisbourg was optimistic. The population stood at 1046. Six years earlier, in 1895, the Dominion Coal Company the Sydney and Louisbourg Railway line. In the town the company constructed the S&L station, the coal pier and, a few years later, a freight pier. Louisbourg became a major transshipment port for coal, during the winter, and a year round fueling depot for steamships…”
Read more by downloading this Heritage notes (free) here:
William A. O’Shea was a researcher, historian, and manager for Parks Canada / Heritage Canada. His professional life was dedicated to learning more about and teaching Canada about the history of our country. One of his personal passions has always been to learn more about local histories and share them with the broader community. He was a founding member of the Louisbourg Heritage Society, Deputy Mayor of the Town of Louisbourg (Nova Scotia) and wrote many books and articles about the town of Louisbourg and the surrounding area. He called Louisbourg home for more than 30 years. Until his passing on October 14th, 2019, he resided in Cornwall, Ontario near his home town of Long Sault, Ontario.
This site is maintained by Kevin O’Shea.
Contact Kevin (email): firstname.lastname@example.org